VABIR and Our Colleagues
Since its inception in 1979, VABIR has been Vermont’s liaison between private sector employment and skilled workers with disabilities. As our success and expertise have grown, so too have our relationships with other organizations and professionals whose goals include assuring meaningful, appropriate employment for all members of our community. To help you and your organization better understand when we may be of assistance to you, we would like to give you some specific information about VABIR.
We are the Vermont Association of Business, Industry and Rehabilitation. Working under a program through the US Department of Education called Projects With Industry (PWI), our responsibility is to provide pragmatic, real-world information to both employers and job-seekers. Employers naturally want the most qualified applicants to fill their positions; our role is to help them find those employees.
A person may be unemployed or underemployed due to their disability; our job is to find a way to use their skills in a way which will circumvent or accommodate that specific disability. In specific:
- VABIR will provide education and awareness of issues involved in working with individuals who have disabilities.
- VABIR will arrange free accessibility surveys for businesses and consumers.
- VABIR offers job assessment for accommodations which will assist employees in performing their job.
- VABIR will help employers strategize ways to retain employees who become disabled while in their employ.
- VABIR will consult with you or any employer on job descriptions, interview techniques, and other employment areas in which disability issues arise.
Please think of us when any of these topics arise among the people with whom you work. You will find your local VABIR representative eager to assist you. Contact your local Employment Rep or call our Administrative Office at 800-639-2909.